Monday, March 25, 2013

Eating while away from home

So I think I'll start this blog talking about how to eat healthy while away from home. As I sit here drinking hazelnut coffee with coconut oil and cinnamon, I feel I should first define what healthy food actually is.

In my opinion, healthy food is real food. Real food is unprocessed or natural food. That is the simplest way to look at what healthy food is. Bread, for example, is a processed food. An apple, or an egg, is a whole real food. Now obviously the context makes a difference. A few bananas might be the healthiest thing for an active healthy person, especially after just working out. But for the old sedentary person who is pre diabetic, perhaps a few bananas would not be the best option (despite it being a healthy whole food.)

So you might be wondering now what I eat. Well, without getting into it too much, I eat a good amount of healthy fats like coconut products, grass fed butter, and avocados. I eat a shit ton of sweet potatoes, potatoes, and fruit (especially bananas) making up the bulk of my carbohydrate intake. I eat a lot of eggs and beef, but unfortunately not as much grass fed or free range as I should be. I'm looking to add more white rice and canned wild salmon/ sardines into my diet.

Now that you can see what I consider healthy, lets pretend you are out on the go and want to keep eating healthy. If you plan to bring food with you, it is very easy to pack some solid protein like hard boiled eggs, cold cuts like roast beef or turkey, or any type of meat or fish you cooked at home. I like to pack cooked sweet potatoes and normal potatoes on the go, and often I use the potato as "bread" for my sandwich. Avocados, dark chocolate and fruit travel well and are quite filling.

Woops, you forgot to pack a lunch with you but are out all day.  Well if you happen to live in a somewhat busy area, I'm sure you can find a place to buy some food. Don't always assume that you can not eat healthy while buying food out. In my opinion, if you keep it mostly whole and real, you can be suprised at what you can buy out. Don't like to eat the bread? Order a sandwich and toss the bun. Don't want to consume rancid vegetable oils? Tell them to hold the sugar or oily sauce.

Obviously cooking at home and preparing your own meals are best since you know what goes into what you are eating, but eating out can be just as enjoyable if you make mostly right choices. Remember, stressing about eating unhealthy is probably worse than eating some junk.

Another option is just fasting. Stay tuned for another exciting blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment