Thursday, November 6, 2014

Very low fat diet experiment (and last 3 months nutrition).

If you watch my video from June 2014, you could see how I ate a relatively low fat diet for almost a complete year. In the last 3 months, I've upped the fat AND the starch (mainly cause I stopped being very strict), and upped the calories. This past week, for example, I averaged about 4300 calories per day. I do have very high calorie days here and there though, up to 6000 some days. (I have been logging my diet daily since last December on http://cronometer.com/ ).

So, here is my total average for the last 3 months.
3971 calories
749grams carbs (432g sugar, 227g starch, 49g fiber) -  72%
156g protein  - 15.7%
49g fat (5.4g poly-unsaturated, 12.1g monounsaturated, 25.3g saturated) -  11%
8.3g alcohol  - 1.5%
317mg cholesterol

I take a daily Vitamin E supplement.

In those three months, my weight has gone up from about 142 pounds to about 147-148. It is most likely fat, but could be some muscle due to the gymnastic training I was doing. My deadlift also reached a new max of 285 pounds, so it might be some muscle in the legs. If not, its just a better nervous system and more fat.

My Plan starting Monday November 10 is to go on a 45 day experiment, where I will aim to eat a very very low fat diet. My plan is to eat below 15 grams of fat almost daily. My protein should vary between 125-150 grams ideally, and my carbs are going to come from a combination of sugars and starches. I am aiming between 3500-4000 calories a day at least. If my body craves more due to desire or hunger, I will exceed 4000 calories.
The one day that will be problematic will be Thanksgiving, because I spend it with my family. I will try my best to keep all the fats I eat that day saturated.

I am aware that this is probably not healthy, but I am willing to experiment with myself (plus, it's a short time period anyway). My only concern is lack of cholesterol intake (although I am planning to eat shrimp) and the possibility of feeling signs of depression (the changing of the seasons to winter won't help either).

Why? I want to see if I will gain, maintain, or lose weight with the dietary fat restriction. I am trying to see, if at 3500-4000 calories, it is possible for me to lose fat at all, or if I will maintain fat. Maybe I will gain fat, who knows?

The diet will be mainly Ray Peat oriented (aside from the lack of fat). My planned staples are going to be rice, dates, potatoes, nonfat greek and normal yogurt, nonfat milk, bananas, other fruit, honey, shrimp, coffee, gelatin. I will also eat pasta, bread, nonfat frozen yogurt, lowfat breakfast cereals and white sugar in smaller amounts.  I'll continue using a ton of salt. I'll take a vitamin E supplement daily, and a vitamin k1/k2 supplement every other day. I'll try to get sunlight daily also, and sleep as well as I can. If I'm out and want alcohol, I'll stick to hard ciders or liquor, but I don't plan to have to much.

I plan to walk a lot daily (I end up walking 5+ miles everyday without trying to). I also will be doing calisthenics and/or gymnastic style training (lots of static holds) 3-4 times a week. I'll squat for mobility and deadlift heavy once a week.

Here I am on November 7th 2014.




In other news, I'm studying the NASM textbook because I am thinking about becoming a personal trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment